Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What Happens if the Lids Come Off?

I know that it sounds really crazy to you that I even SUGGEST that you place your fine jewelry in the dishwasher to be cleaned, but, it is actually the best way to clean fine jewelry at home!.  Jeweler in the Dishwasher is designed to keep fine jewelry secured while in the dishwasher.  

Now I will address the usual question:  What happens if the lids come off while the basket is in the dishwasher??  I was initially a little surprised when I first heard this question, but I guess I shouldn't have been.  I think people have had it pounded into their brains that the force of the water inside of the dishwasher is extremely turbulent. So, a lot of people assume that the water will be slamming into each egg and the soaker tank while it is in the dishwasher.  I'm going to do my best to explain why this is the wrong assumption.

The outer basket acts as a locking mechanism for the eggs and the soaker tank.  It is specifically designed to keep the eggs and soaker tank stable, and in the upright position.The size of the holes in the eggs and the design of the lid on the soaker tank, prohibits the water from entering the units at a high speed.  Instead, the water trickles in, filling the eggs and the soaker tank, and then slowly drains out.  Instead of blasting the enclosed jewelry clean, it creates a gentle soaking process; that is actually why we call it a soaker tank.

I went to great lengths to make sure that this product does not open while it is in the dishwasher.  The eggs are threaded, so the only way that they can come open is if the top of the basket somehow became air-born, flew completely away from the bottom half of the basket, allowing the eggs to magically unscrew themselves, and then remove their own lids.  

I believe that it is IMPOSSIBLE for this product to open while in the dishwasher if the directions are followed.  But, just for the heck of it, I did a test of my own to see what would happen if I didn't follow the directions.  I placed one basket in the dishwasher without the lid.  I placed another basket in the dishwasher with the lid of the basket askew and I didn't secure the outer locks. 

In the before picture below with the yellow eggs, you can see that the eggs are in the upright position.  After I ran the cycles of the dishwasher and opened the door to see what happened, I noticed that the front egg was only slightly tilted, the back egg was still straight up.  Why didn't they fall over?  Because the water is entering from the top and the sides, filling each egg with water, and this keeps them in the upright position.  Attaching the lid  makes the whole process even more secure.




Next I placed the blue eggs in the outer basket, leaving the lid askew.  I also made sure not to lock either of the heavy duty outer locks on the outer basket.  I ran the dishwasher like I always do, and once the cycles were finished, I looked inside to see what happened with the lid.  As you can see in the after picture, the lid is slightly askew, but it is still pretty much in the same position it was in before I ran the dishwasher.  So, what does this mean? It means that if for some strange reason, BOTH outer locks become disengaged, the lid won't just blow away to oblivion;  It will pretty much be right where you left it!

I hope my experiment showed you that this is really an extremely secure way to clean fine jewelry!  If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me!







No comments:

Post a Comment