Saturday, September 12, 2009

Even I am Impressed with the Results from Jeweler in the Dishwasher!

If you have read my earlier posts, then you know that I own a retail jewelry store. And like everywhere else, people are bringing in their old gold to trade in for cash or new jewelry. A few weeks ago one of my customers brought in a very worn rope chain that belonged to her husband that she wanted to trade in for a new one. He had worn his chain every day and never took it off until it wore out. I bought the chain from her and when she left I was looking at it and realized it was EXTREMELY dirty. So, just to see what would happen, I decided to take it home and try to clean it with Jeweler in the Dishwasher (JITD). I wasn't really expecting the results to be too impressive because I was using a JITD that is intended to clean rings and chains are very hard to clean even with a professional grade ultra sonic followed by a steamer. The dirt and oils get trapped between the links and it is difficult to get it all out.
I took the chain home with me that evening, and I put it in the JITD and then attached the unit to the top rack of the dishwasher. I ran the dishwasher as I normally would, and when it was finished running through all the cycles I clipped the zip tie, and removed the unit. I couldn't believe the results!! The chain was really clean, however, since the chain was so dirty to start with, I had to use the brush enclosed with the JITD to remove the remaining residue that was between the links. The end result was the same as if I had cleaned it at work. (See the photos below)

Chain before cleaning.

Chain after cleaning.
I have been working on a JITD for chains and bracelets, and am now very excited to get that unit to the market. In the meantime, if you are in the Ohio area, stop by to visit us at The Fabulous Food Show! Booth 133 at the I-X Center, November 13-15th.




































No comments:

Post a Comment